THE GROUPED PARISHES OF LLANASA AND FFYNNONGROYW
Parish of Llanasa
The Parish includes the villages of Llanasa, Trelogan, Gronant, Gwespyr, Axton and Glan-yr-Afon.
The parish has two churches;
Llanasa Parish Church has a dual dedication to Ss Asaph & Cyndeyrn (Kentigen or St Mungo in Scotland).
The ancient Christian beginnings of Llanasa date from between 560 & 573. This is an early double naved church, it is a Grade 2* listed building and is located along with the village in a designated Conservation Area. The Church attracts pilgrims and visitors to the area. It is part of the Flintshire Sacred Doorways project, and is also on the route of the North Wales Pilgrims’ Way. Llanasa Church is open daily between 10.00 am and 6 pm (4 pm in the winter).
Glass doors have recently been erected on the porch.
The church is signed up on the registers for Inclusive Church and as a Fair Trade Church.
St Winifred’s Church, Gronant was a timber framed and clad building which was dedicated on 28 January 1949. An area had been altered at the back to create a small “kitchen style” corner so refreshments could be served. It had a small car parking area at the front. The grounds are laid to grass with some planting and a path that leads to a covered porch.
Unfortunately this building is no longer in use, instead the small but loyal and regular congregation now meet in the Gronant Family Centre, which is to the right hand side of the school in Gronant
Parish of Ffynnongroyw
The parish includes the villages of Ffynnongroyw, Penyffordd, parts of Picton, Talacre, Tanlan and Tyn y Morfa.
The parish has one church, dedicated to All Saints and situated on Main Road, Ffynnongroyw, in the centre of the village. The Wales Coastal Path runs through the village and past the church.
In the mid-19th century Ffynnongroyw was a thriving hamlet in the ancient parish of Llanasa and the need for a church was felt. In 1854 the Bishop of St Asaph purchased a field in the village for the purpose of building a church but it was not until 1881 that the building began, funded by the gifts of local people and businesses.
The foundation stone for All Saints Church was laid on 8th November 1881 (hence the dedication) and the church was opened less than a year later, on 8th August 1882, with services in English and Welsh. A separate parish was formed the following year and the church was consecrated on 15th July 1883.
It is a Grade II listed building with architectural and historical interest as the last work of prominent Victorian architect George Edmund Street.
In addition to the church itself, the site contains a church-hall and a substantial amount of land. There is no graveyard.
The church interior layout is traditional. There is a nave and two side aisles, a chancel with choir stalls and a sanctuary. The organ is a substantial instrument in good condition.
There is stained glass in the East window, four windows in the South aisle and one window in the North aisle, given at times from 1889 through to the 1950s in memory of various priests and parishioners.
The church is open daily and is used for quiet contemplation and visited by people walking the coastal path.
Pictures courtesy of Mike Williams Photography